We went to the zoo on Tuesday...
We thought about going on Memorial Day but then decided to wait until Tuesday so we would miss the crowd.
Silly us!
Tuesday must have been the official Elementary School Field Trip Day for every school in the western United States of America. There were like, 10 million kids running around. It was a little crowded, to say the least. Luckily, all the school children had to be back to their various schools by mid-afternoon so we didn't have to fight the swarms of kids all day...just for the morning time.
We enjoyed ourselves immensely!
I have to admit, I don't consider myself an big "animal" person, BUT having two super enthusiastic animal-lovers around makes the zoo pretty exciting.
Ben is quite knowlegible in the animal department and Emers seems to be following in his footsteps. They get really excited about things like, uhh...antelope squirels and snake-neck turtles. Thrilling, I know.
We thought about going on Memorial Day but then decided to wait until Tuesday so we would miss the crowd.
Silly us!
Tuesday must have been the official Elementary School Field Trip Day for every school in the western United States of America. There were like, 10 million kids running around. It was a little crowded, to say the least. Luckily, all the school children had to be back to their various schools by mid-afternoon so we didn't have to fight the swarms of kids all day...just for the morning time.
We enjoyed ourselves immensely!
I have to admit, I don't consider myself an big "animal" person, BUT having two super enthusiastic animal-lovers around makes the zoo pretty exciting.
Ben is quite knowlegible in the animal department and Emers seems to be following in his footsteps. They get really excited about things like, uhh...antelope squirels and snake-neck turtles. Thrilling, I know.
Even Boy-B got seemed to be enjoying himself. He was a good sport. This kid is seriously such a good, easy goin' baby! He was very content for the duration of the day. Just sat back and looked around; soaked it all in. How did I get so lucky?
I'm not gonna lie: this picture make me very proud. I told Emes to pretend like she was scared of the lion and she came through for me!
We spent a fair chunk of time in front of the meerkats. These guys (the meerkats, that is) were on somethin' (if ya know what I mean...)
Emery would run back and forth in front of their window and the crazy little guys would chase her. When she stopped, they would stop and just stare at the kids.
Emery would run back and forth in front of their window and the crazy little guys would chase her. When she stopped, they would stop and just stare at the kids.
Emery was dying to ride on the Merry-Go-Round of Endangered Species. Personally, I'm still adjusting to this new addition to the zoo.
Call us old school, but Ben and I kept talking about how much we miss the hippo pool that used to occupy the space that is now the Merry-go-Round.
I know it was ghetto, (and miserable for the animal) but I wish I could show Emery the giant hippo lying in the dirty/stinky water of his cement home. The space was so small that you could always see the hippo; there was nowhere for him to hide.
I remember watching him and thinkng to myself, "What I would do if one of my little brothers or sisters fell into the water?" Would I dare to jump in and save them? I was scared, yet enthralled with the hippo. Also, I used to love to look at all the random items that hung on the wall showing the trash that the zoo workers have pulled out of the hippo tank over the years: old shoes, hat and popcorn boxes. Baby bottles and candy bar and icecream wrappers....Man, oh man! Those were the days!
Anyway....here's Emery waving to Daddy from the back of the polar bear.
Call us old school, but Ben and I kept talking about how much we miss the hippo pool that used to occupy the space that is now the Merry-go-Round.
I know it was ghetto, (and miserable for the animal) but I wish I could show Emery the giant hippo lying in the dirty/stinky water of his cement home. The space was so small that you could always see the hippo; there was nowhere for him to hide.
I remember watching him and thinkng to myself, "What I would do if one of my little brothers or sisters fell into the water?" Would I dare to jump in and save them? I was scared, yet enthralled with the hippo. Also, I used to love to look at all the random items that hung on the wall showing the trash that the zoo workers have pulled out of the hippo tank over the years: old shoes, hat and popcorn boxes. Baby bottles and candy bar and icecream wrappers....Man, oh man! Those were the days!
Anyway....here's Emery waving to Daddy from the back of the polar bear.
You can't leave the zoo without stopping by the playground. This area has also changed drastically over the years. Very sad.
Do you remember the giant eagles nests and the tree slide? There also used to be an icecream shop in this area and an old Utah Jail that was a great photo opp! I also vaguely remember a giant emu running free in this area. He is no more.
Do you remember the giant eagles nests and the tree slide? There also used to be an icecream shop in this area and an old Utah Jail that was a great photo opp! I also vaguely remember a giant emu running free in this area. He is no more.
Appearently the emu left an egg behind tho...
This is Emery and her new friend "Animal." She named a lot of the animals this day, so you can tell she was running out of ideas at this point. "Animal" was a friendly squirrel.
It has been 24 hours since we last saw Animal, but Emery told me this evening that she still misses him. Awe!
Carden is smiling, I promise.
It has been 24 hours since we last saw Animal, but Emery told me this evening that she still misses him. Awe!
Carden is smiling, I promise.
I had to hold her down for this picture. She didn't have to pretend to be scared...she really was afraid of the giant spider.
7 comments:
There have been a lot of changes to the zoo! When we come out to Utah braxton wants to go to the zoo because there are no Giraffes and Zebras at our zoo! He is obsessed with Madagascar.
It WAS super busy in the morning! I'm glad you guys ended up having as much fun as we did! It was way fun seeing you there!
So adorable! I love Emy pretending to be scared... she is funny. I didn;t know they took out the hippos either. I don't think I've been to the zoo since 6th grade though. Such fun pictures!
Holy cow, I'd forgotten about that tree and the little petting zoo and all the stuff they used to have there. The hippo pool was my favorite. Ghetto Hogle zoo is way better than modern Hogle. Dang. Our kids are missing out. I wish someone would've gotten a picture of that board of items found in the hippo pool. I remember looking at it and wondering why on earth anyone would have some of those things on their person in the first place. Sad to think that this year will be the last visit to the Utah Hogle zoo for a while. We'll just be petting manatees and six-toed Hemmingway cats for a few years :(. Well, maybe that's not so bad :).
What a fun day! I can't ever remember a time going to that zoo that is wasn't totally busy. And full of annoying kids. There might be the option to rent it out for a day!
I can't get over how cute Emery is. And Carden's red hair. Are you two going to be at the shower?Wait... what am I asking this for? Of course... you would be disowned if you didn't go! Anyways see you real soon...
Apparently I'm totally missing out on this old school zoo you all speak of so fondly! I wish I could've seen Hippo trash. Lame. But lots o' fun pics!
what awesome memories. Good to see you guys are still alive and doing well. LOVE ya
Post a Comment