Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Revenge of the Geese

Emery LOVES to have picnics and she formerly loved to feed the ducks, (I will explain) so we decided to venture out to Layton Park when Benji Boy came home from work on Monday evening.


We found a lovely shaded spot on the top of a hill overlooking the duck pond, and we set up our blanket and started to eat. WELL, after 30 seconds of eating, Emers was running all over the blanket, jumping over the food and knocking over drinks. She was SOoO excited to go feed the ducks! We told her she had to eat first. She insisted she was done (after taking one bite) so Ben told her that if she was done, the geese were going to come and eat her quesadilla. Apparently, the geese had heard Ben's comments and were all too willing to help out-- about 30 BIG geese Started HONKING and marching up the hill toward us. Emery immediately grabbed her quesadilla and started screaming in TERROR. However, this was a hardcore flock of geese- they weren't scared of us AT ALL. In fact, they recruited a bunch of seagulls and a few ducks; we now have literally, 50 birds advancing toward our little picnic. Ben was trying to get up to shoo them away, but Emery had jumped into his lap and was sobbing, screaming and holding on to him for dear life. About the time that the Bird Army reached our blanket, Ben had detached himself from Emery and chased them away, BUT, by this time the damage has already been done: for the rest of her life our daughter is going to have some major mental issues involving geese. Let's just say she is no longer a fan of feeding ducks.

I am pretty sure this whole incident is Ben's fault. The geese were getting back at us for one of Benji's recent early morning adventures. (Don't know what I'm talking about??? Check out www.bentoller.blogspot.com)

ANYWAY, it took a while but eventually we got Emery calmed down and we spent the rest of our evening on the playground, far away from the ducks.




Carden was unaffected by the whole adventure. He's a pretty easy-going guy.


17 comments:

C and C Young said...

That is hilarious! But I TOTALLY understand the fear you experienced. Geese are freakin mean. When I was at USU I was on a date down at the dam and I got chased by one...those things are scary.

Rachael said...

Poor Emery... Tell Ben not to provoke the ducks again days before he decides to take his family to the park. They probably heard his voice and came for revenge.

Hollie said...

HAHA..i was just gunna say--Ben started this whole geese vs. human thing. I Laughed so hard reading this James...what a good lil writer you are..i love that you had a BIRD ARMY...and i can totally hear the conversation in my head...You kids are Hilarious...Im glad Carden is so down to earth...hes a smooth sailor:)

J&J Binghameez said...

Jamie- Your kids are soo cute!! what a cute little family you have. The geese, that is so funny!

Sierra said...

That is hilarious... I don't blame her for being scared. I, myself, have been attacked at that park. Em is getting so big. Hay and I want to take her and Baylee to the aquarium :-)

Lindsay said...

Poor Em. Ben needs to not throw Honkerton around and then you guys could have good times at the park!

Stacy said...

So its been a while since i have blogged, your little guy is adorable. Well despite the geese rage, it sounds like it would have been a fun day.

Jared & Melisa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jared & Melisa said...

Poor Emery and what mean geese! But I'm glad she still had fun playing on the playground. And Carden is so cute just like his big sister!

Coby & Ash said...

Coby always makes fun of me, but I really am scared of ducks and geese... my mom says its because I chased when I was little. I foresee this in little Emery's future....

Anyways, I am coming down this coming weekend and TRULY we need to get together. Let me know what works best for you Friday or Saturday. I'm trying to coordinate with everyone so we can really make this happen this time!

Hollie said...

why would he make fun of this one?? my pups arent wearing any clothes. and theres nothing wrong with us loving our pets. Tell Ben to shut it.

jean toller said...

Jamie- Great story. We love you for the cute MOM you are to our grandkids! It's fun being married to Benny Huh? Thanks for being such a good wife. We love you all!
Rob and Jean

Coby & Ash said...

k JME we are planning on Saturday night (not day because apparently the HO has plans...she has a life I guess...) so be there or be square! Get thinking about what you want to do...something wild and crazy, like eat and talk! Seriously, DO NOT MAKE ANY OTHER PLANS!!!

April and Jared Fenn said...

Can you say Karma?? hahaha. I feel bad for little Emery but it's just what Ben deserved. He's a poo poo head. One time I spit on a Praying Mantis and then a week later I was seriously attacked by a gaggle of Praying Freakin Mantis!!

Kevin, Amanda & Braxton said...

Poor emery will never be the same!

Unknown said...

I found it interesting that Bean still got the blame for the random wild acts of the cruel animal world. I laughed when I read that you were pretty sure the whole thing was beans fault.
That is a great story and had bean not showen those fowls who was boss on a previous morning, we would still be looking for your bodies. Obviously when Bean stood up and took the same throwing poster that Honkerton had experienced (see bean blog) those avian freaks ran for cover. I am no ornithologist, but no bird can withstand a good mammilian throw.
Praise to the Bean for saving my niece and nephew so that I can see them in December.
STEVE

Ticey said...

Oh Poor Emers. Way to go Ben :) Your family is darling!! Cutest kids!!